Old 12-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
gkpaleo

Default Any catch?

Hi Andreas,

I just joined and so far really like the guestbook facility. I do not want to
seem overly skeptical, but most other free questbook services force
one to include ads or banners on one's site. So far I do not see where
you are doing this. May I ask what you are getting out of it, other than
being a really nice guy? Are our email addresses or those in our guestbooks used by you or others for marketing? Are there any surprises down the line?

Thanks,

Glen K
Old 12-31-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
Andreas
UltraGuest Admin

Default Re: Any catch?

From studying free guestbook services for several years I totally understand your skepticism. No free guestbook service without advertisement has survived for very long. The last service to shut down - as usual without any prior warnings - was www.SignMyBook.com (probably the best guestbook service I've seen, by the way).

UltraGuest used to be ad-supported, but the ads were removed because of problems with new features I had promised for a long time. So advertisement may actually return one day. As a matter of fact, guestbooks breaking the Terms of Service (and not the law) are already forced to display banner ads.

As stated in the Privacy Policy, e-mails and other information collected is not used for advertisement or sold/revealed to any third party.

So what do I get out of this? Not much, but the cost of running this service is trivial and answering support inquiries takes at most a few minutes daily. I have fun creating new features and I enjoy watching the service grow.
Closed Thread