PDA

View Full Version : private message

04-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi,
I�m Bettina and new on this guestbook. Now that i have finally some entries in my guestbook i would like to edit them. But i can`t enter to edit or view guestbook.
Another problem: there was arrived a message in my guestbook and it passed into private, but it should be visible for all visitors.
How can i edit my guestbook?
Thank a lot

Andreas
04-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Hello Bettina,

You can not edit the guestbook entries. I could make it an option, but if someone signs your guestbook with their name it really would not be fair if the guestbook owner could edit the message later. If you (or anyone else) disagree, let me know...

The same is true if a guestbook entry was made private by someone the guestbook owner should not be able to make it public. If an entry was made private by an accident, create a new message that is not private then delete the first entry from the members area. Make sure that the "Private" box is not checked.

If something does not make sense or you have any more questions, just let me know! :)

sk8dad
06-07-2004, 12:29 AM
I think I understand your reasoning for not allowing messages to be edited. I think it is because you don't want to allow the owner to make the poster appear to say something that they did not. If this was your intent, you have not accomplished it. Anyone can pretend to post for someonelse. The owner can effectively edit a post by copying the text, deleting the offensive post and posting a new editted version.

There are good reasons for allowing the owner to edit the guests posts. Usually to delete offensive language. The owner should have the final decisions on what is acceptible in his guest book and be able to delete the offensive material. It seems he should have the option to do it a little less drastically than removing the whole post. Sometimes a small edit can make all the difference. If you wanted you could put a flag that the post had been editted.

Just one guys opinion. Love your service. Thanks for offering it.

Andreas
06-07-2004, 02:42 PM
I agree with what you are saying. I'll add this request to the feature wishlist... :)